Monday, September 25, 2006

Smell


I want to start this installment by thanking everyone for their kind words and thoughts during my family tragedy. They definitely have helped me to move on...well, not completely move on , but you get what I mean.

I thought I would use this time to talk about smell. Kind of strange in a way, but it's something we really don't think about when we are creating stories. Sure, we write about emotions and how we feel, but do we write about how things smell? I don't know about you, but I'm constantly smelling-- as I write this, I can smell my large German Shepherd as he sleeps at my feet. He's stinky and his breath is bad and sometimes he farts. He is almost 7 years old, so he doesn't have puppy breath anymore. But his smell is so distinct, I miss it when I go away.

Okay, maybe this is a bit weird for some people. Let's try some other memory. There is a perfume I used to wear back in my mid-twenties. It was a mango smell that The Body Shoppe still sells. Whenever I smell that mango perfume, it takes me back to a time when I was in university and was partying waaayyyyyy too much. I'm transported to that time and place, and those feelings return once again:a mixture of sadness, loss and being lost, but also a moment of finding myself.

Whether you are journaling or establishing characters in your story, smell can dig a little deeper into what is really going on inside.



10 comments:

Spirita said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and for nice comment you left.
I can say the same words for your site too. It has very feminine and aristocratic atmosphere and I really enjoy reading your posts.

High Power Rocketry said...

You are a-muse-ing!

The SUCCESS Coach said...

Here, as I sit on the porch with my laptop, it's the smell of rain which will undoubted soon be falling.

We are looking forward to having you start contributing to For Your Success. Where else to help work things out and help you move forward.

The SUCCESS Coach said...

Here, as I sit on the porch with my laptop, it's the smell of rain which will undoubted soon be falling.

We are looking forward to having you start contributing to For Your Success. Where else to help work things out and help you move forward.

Kiyotoe said...

This is definitely something i will explore as i develop new characters. I've never used smell as a means of identifying or giving a character a certain trait.

Thanks Muse!

The Wandering Author said...

I'm sorry about your loss. Those words are always inadequate, yet they are really all we can say at such a time.

I've tried using smell in my writing; the problem I always encounter is that so many people define the same smell so differently.

Kilroy of Fear and Loathing pointed out your blog to me, by the way. When I first clicked on the link and saw the title of your post, I misread it. Now, I used to do printing, so I saw "Snell", thought immediately of Snell Roundhand, and wondered why you'd chosen that for a topic. Which just points out how odd, and how individual, our perceptions can be.

Bibi said...

Yes! When I was 11 I stayed at a boarding school in Paris, France. The bathrooms becames infested w. ants and the custodian sprayed ant killer everywhere. To do this day, when I smell ant spray, I'm transported back to my 11-year-old self in that Parisian boarding school.

Ian said...

I meant to tell you earlier: this post reminded me of my lack of smells in my current 100-Day Novel, and I added some language in relevant to that.

Thanks!

Ian

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post - very timely. We only get a fleeting glimpse of Autumn in this Sonoran desert, so as I read your post, I reminisced as I woke up today but did not want to get out of bed. When it gets down to my freezing mark (yes, us desert dwellers get cold at 60F/16C) at night, I find myself actually longing for snow. That's sort of the reward I yearn for when it starts to get cold for me.

Having lived in the North East (US), there used to be this 'scent' of snow on the air, that fleeting mix of woodsmoke, wind and the ever so faint, that smell of fall foliage buried, slowly fermenting, just beneath the snow. I loved that smell. Though, I confess, that the lovely winters in Arizona spoil me soo much. I don't miss what comes along with the snow: Dirty puddles of water/slush hidden ever so deflty that you'd never miss stepping into one, frozen fingertips, icicles on eyelashes, pants soaked knee-high, cold noses, frozen car keyholes...

So I just turned under the covers and snuggled up to her. Waiting for her to grab and pull me out of this four poster, dull torpor... that almost seems, to be pulling me downward.

Have a beautiful day!

Kilroy_60 said...

Not only the sound but the smells of Cape Cod are a source of such wonderful memories.