Sunday, July 30, 2006

$1,000,000

Awhile back, as I was struggling to figure out my writing life, I became enlightened to what writing means to me. I asked myself this question: If someone said to me, "Look, I'll give you a million dollars right here and now, but the only thing you have to do is never write again," would I take it? I immediately knew the answer...'No'. I wouldn't take the money (aside from extreme circumstances involving family, of course). To live a life without writing would tear me apart. At that very moment I knew that writing was my life purpose and there was no way I could back down from it.

I think this is an excellent way to determine what we are all passionate about. What would we give up to ensure we live out our passions and our dreams?

4 comments:

rebeleyeball said...

So if you took the money and then broke down and started writing again, would you have to pay back the full million or just a pro-rated amount? Now, that could be an interesting story ;-).

The SUCCESS Coach said...

We have posted your link at For Your Success.

As you can tell seeking link exchanges has not been a focus of activity. We'll make it a point of bringing on more...and ensure that you are in only the best of company. :-)

Reviewing your posts, it appears you write quite a bit, as here, related to personal motivation, growth, improvement, the process of writing.

I think that you could collect thoughts, piece bits of your various posts together and come up with some things we could publish. HOw would you feel about that?

Will look for word from you.

Rose Ghost said...

I wouldn't take the money either. Thanks for posting that. It's a really simple thing but it made me think about what I actually want. Do I wanna write or do I just want to sit about on my arse? Thanks :-)

Kiyotoe said...

That's a powerful question that really makes you think about what's important to you.

At first I thought, "of course I'd take the money". But after thinking about what my life would be like without the ability to express myself through my writing.......

Whew! Couldn't do it.