Monday, January 29, 2007

Just Write

The other day I was trying to do some writing work that I just didn't have the creativity to do. It was a corporate brochure and I had already written a copy for the client, but they wanted it to be "spiced" up. Isn't a corporate brochure supposed to be boring? How do you add a little spice to a brochure on commercial real estate, especially when there aren't any pictures?

What I did was stop for a moment to write some thoughts down. Just whatever came to mind. At first, my brain was telling me that I was wasting time and I needed to get cracking on this project. But how could I write the 'spicy' project when I was running low on spice? I was just staring at the paper anyway, I might as well just write some thoughts down.

So I wrote for about 10 minutes. I wrote whatever came to my mind. I don't remember what I wrote because I don't have my book with me, but that small exercise opened me up to creativity. Even though I wasn't able to complete the project for a few more days, eventually that flow came back and I was feeling somewhat normal again (whatever that is!).

2 comments:

Ian said...

Ok, now I totally want to know how you spiced up a commercial real estate brochure.

Ian

The Wandering Author said...

Sorry, couldn't resist that. How do you "spice up" a commercial real estate brochure? That sounds about as easy as writing an exciting essay on the love life of the barnacle. On second thought, I'll go with the barnacles hands down...