Sunday, August 20, 2006

Motivation

Once again, summer has been keeping me busy. I find myself swamped with things to do, and usually those things don't involve writing. When I'm unmotivated (and would prefer to sit on the couch and watch TV), then writing doesn't get done. I know that if I sit down and start writing, the motivation and creativity will come.

Part of me even wonders if my lack of motivation is fear based, mainly the fear of success. The novel I'm writing now seems to be flowing smoothly, but, once I get into the groove of it, I feel scared of what it might become, or what it might not become. I don't want it to sound lame or have the basic run-of-the-mill style.

I certainly don't want my work to be the hokey style of one New York Times Best Selling author. For some reason, I've read 4 of her books. Each book is pretty much the same, except the character's names have been changed. I can't understand how she became a best selling author. In the same breath, I can't figure out why I've read four of her books. Maybe it's my reminder to not write like she does.

In some small way, this author has inspired me to do better. I suppose we all need a good author and a bad author to keep us pursuing our writing dreams.

5 comments:

Ian said...

Ok, I'm totally curious as to who you're referring to, and if she wrote anything entitled "Undead and Unwed" or "Undead and Unemployed" or "Undead and pick-a-new-fricking-theme-for-your-titles"?

Ian

The SUCCESS Coach said...

This is a perfect post for my comment.

Your delay in responding to my previous comment has been followed by a delay in my responding to your comment. {Laughing}

Motivation is not the issue in this case; it has been a client launching new venture who has required what amounts to babysitting in addition to typical consulting. The nature of the beast becomes a true beast.

I will be actively posting to bring For Your Success up to date by the top of the week.

We would be pleased to have a link exchange.

When you sit to write, as creativity comes, will you be creating something that will be submitted to For Your Success? We are very open to subject matter so you could let your creative juices flow as you choose.

I look forward to connect with you soon Writing Muse. You do outstanding work.

I am interested in your viewpoint, your input. As you are able to create time we would welcome comments on our various pieces. I would in turn, if you wish, return to comment.

I would be happy to refer some of my associates as well if you have interest in commnets or the potential of other link exchanges.

Lexa Roséan said...

I totally relate to this post. Although I can often write with tv in the background. Still, a good autho and a bad author can both be great motivation. Even better, having a muse! Suerte with your novel!

Ian said...

Oh, BTW -

I added you to my blogroll. :)

Ian

Spirita said...

beautiful blog you have
thanks for visiting mine